Re: Ozone and Apache XML database project?

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Jörg Prante wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I'm new to the Ozone developer list, I'm just curious about the rumours
> that Ozone might become an Apache XML database project. I read some
> discussions on the Cocoon devel list, with fruitful ideas from Stefano
> Mazzocchi, and I like his ideas. But I'don't know the status of this project,
> or even how I can become a part of this process.
>
> I got the impression the project has a very early status and there is some
> work to do before Ozone could be committed to ASF.

Please note that nobody did really propose ozone to become an Apache project. I
was talking about this to Stefano and Giacomo but IMO the ozone approach of
storing and processing XML is not what they want for Apache. Therefore I did
never push in this direction.

What I would really like to see is Prowler (which has relations to ozone) under
the Apache umbrella, which would make perfect sense. Anyway, it seems that
this will never happen because the XML PMC does not really want it or cannot
make this decision or does not want to make this decision now or later or
something else - I don't know.

Anyway, the conclusion so far is:

1) ozone will not become apache

2) helping whit the development of ozone is a good idea anyway ;)

> Before I start to hack the sources without having feedback, here are some
> thoughts I want to share with you about what I like to do:
>
> - replacing Ozone's DxLib with Java 2 Collections (Falko Bräutigam gave me a
> hint that Ozone needs some basic cleanup in this area)

extremely care must be taking when doing this. I would not recommend tackling
this task until you are really familiar with the code base.

> - persistent DOM with DOM Level 2/XPath support, prepared for usage with
> Apache Xerces 2/Xalan 2

Lars and I tried several times to start a discussion about the rework of the XML
support of ozone - without getting any feetback. Currently we see a solution
that clusters JDOM nodes as a good way to go. What do you think?

> - improving Ozone's client/server structure (similar to Tomcat 4 XML-based
> configuration)

what does this exactly mean?

> - a little bit refactoring the Ozone packages to clean up architectural
> issues

what are those "architectural issues" ?

> - seamless integration of the Ozone transaction architecture with Avalon,
> Cocoon and other Web application frameworks

- Cocoon does not have a "transaction architecture"...

- Avalon integration would be cool; do you have experiences with Avalon?

Joerg, please don't get me wrong! ozone needs all the help it can get and I
appreciate all help. But honestly I'm not sure if you really know what you are
talking about when you say that you want to replace DxLib in the kernel of
ozone. DxLib is synchronized while Java2 collections are not. This would mean
to rework nearly all classes of the kernel! Are you actually ready to do that -
or at least to help with that?