Re: Ozone and Apache XML database project?

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:55:58 +0100
Falko Braeutigam <falko@smb-tec.com> wrote:

> You raised some issues in you mail. We already started to work on the new XML
> support. Lars has proposed a new architecture which I think is a very good
> strarting point. IMO XML is the most important point currently. And it is a good
> point for others to jump in because we need a completely new concept, design
> and implementation. Should we start things by discussing the requirements and
> the concept of the new ozone/XML?

Yes, we should definitely start to redesign the current XML layer of
ozone. The rapid evolution of XML:DB (www.xmldb.org) and the discussions
on the Apache mailinglists show that there is the real need for an XML
database project under OS license. We gained much experience with the
current arch and have several ideas to improve it that we would like to
share with all other developers.

You're right. Nothing, except a proposal for a new architecture, is done
so far. So there is a real chance for interested developers to jump in
and contribute their knowledge from the beginning. And we should start
to collect the requirements the users have.

So, guys, what are your needs and requirements for your XML application?
What should a database provide regarding XML functionality?

Lars
Lars Martin                                    mailto:lars@smb-tec.com