Re: Ozone and Apache XML database project?

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:34:17 +0100
Falko Braeutigam <falko@smb-tec.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Tim Brown wrote:
> > I think a restatement of the requirements would be helpful.  Please do.  I tend to
> > see XML as a data format to be used as one sees fit.  As a result I may skip over
> > things or ignore important ideas.  I have done this with XML here as I am very
> > busy.  How do people see XML fitting into Ozone?
>
> You are raising the first and very important point - document centric versus
> data centric approach. Personally I see a XML database as a way to store
> documents that are already XML or that are (semi)structured in any way. More
> or less a document server - this is what ozone can be. Using XML as a data
> format to store relational or any other kind of _data_ makes no sense IMO.
> However, from the questions in the mail list it seems that not all people agree
> with me here... ;)

But the borderline between the definitions of "data-centric" and
"document-centric" is blurred. Something like fuzzy logic and often
a matter of opinion. :-( But, of course, I know what you mean with
your statement.

Lars Martin                                    mailto:lars@smb-tec.com