Re: Ozone and Apache XML database project?

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Jörg Prante wrote:
> Falko Braeutigam wrote:
>
> > Joerg and all, as you know I'm a terrible bad list moderator and project
> > coordinator.
>
> I don't get this impression.
>
> > Please don't let statements as the above discourage you from
> > jumping in! Sometimes I'm just to stupid honest.
> > Yesterday I was very frustrated about the apache XML PMC. First they asked
> > us to donate Prowler, then we did a lot of work to make it happen and now
> > it seems that they don't actually want this or they are still busy with
> > reorganizing or something else, I dont' know.
>
> It seems that Apache Cocoon's 'acting' package has much to do with a
> prowler-like datasource integration framework. To me this is just a
> workaround of the Cocoon developers to get some ad-hoc database functionality
> into Cocoon, and the ending point will be the need of a bigger Cocoon XML
> document transaction API (doesn't 'acting' mean 'transaction' in the end?).

At the end... yes. However, Cocoons Actions and Prowler are orthogonal IMO. As
long as Cocoon and Prowler really follow the Separation of Concern pattern they
will complement each _and_ stay to be independent of each other. At the same
time, I'm pretty sure that Cocoon will end up building much of Prowlers
functionality again, if they don't realize that global transactions are a very
important feature when building presentation logic for non-trivial sites and
that Cocoon cannot/shouldn't try to support this.

> That's what Ozone's part in the game could be in the future.
ozone?

[snip]

> - DxLib and Java 2 collection framework: the Java 2 classes are able to work
> on multi-threaded environments with "Collections.synchronizedCollection()"
> calls.
Of course this is possible but using synchronizedCollection() we would loose
all the benefits that I try to accomplish. J2 collections are not synchronized.
You have to do this in the code. That's a lot of work but you can (in fact
you must) put a lot of application specific knowledge in here - that's the deal.

> In order to keep the Java 2 Enumeration/Vector/Hashtable classes
> compatible with Java 1.1, theses classes are synchronized (and have improved
> remove() control), but have non-synchronized alternatives named
> ListIterator/ArrayList/HashMap. If are are more Ozone issues why the Java 2
> collection framework could not be used instead of DxLib classes, I would like
> to know more.

I don't care about the APIs. DxLib is fine but I would also use J2 collection
API. What I would like to gain is improved scalability because of the explicit
synchronisation.