Re: Architecture/design questions

Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001, Eric Richardson wrote:
> > p.s. Ironically, I found out about ozone via an ODMG member. Maybe we
> > could list ozone here?
>
> Listing ozone at ODMG? Hmmm... I don't know. ozone's ODMG wrapper is not fully
> compliant. And because ODMG 3.0 and ozone follow different paradigms there is
> no chance to make it fully compliant IMO. Moreover, it seems that ODMG is almost
> dead anyway. They are focusing on JDO.

I think you are probably right but many of the vendors aren't and have
never been fully compliant which is part of the reason for such slow
adoption of Objectbases. I think they don't use the word compliant for
products that aren't. PSE doesn't say anything about compliant so we may
consider it as it could bring more users etc.

I haven't been following the work for the last year or so but Poet
Navajo was using ODMG as an embedded objectbase and David Jordon was
involved with this project and obviously the Java ODMG interfaces at the
company he works for-it's Ericson I think. I also had the opportunity to
talk to Rick Cattell as well and he was talking about persistence hooks
in the JVM. I don't know a thing about JDO but I'll take a look. My idea
was is they were gradually trying to make the Java Persistence and EJB
mapping closer to ODMG. One thing I can say for sure is that the common
goal is to use objects all the way and avoid the "object to relational
impedence mismatch".

Eric :-)