OzoneDB core/application (was: Re: Architecture/design questions)

Am Donnerstag,  8. März 2001 21:38 schrieb Falko Braeutigam:

> We really need to
> discuss our plans, goals and ideas regarding ozone. If we don't do this, if
> we don't finally discuss the relations of ozone to EJB, JDO, ODBMS, XML,
> whatever-standard, if we don't finally put all of our knowledge and
> experiences together, then we don't need to care about anything because
> ozone will just die.

This will be very short and just dropped out of my mind, so please excuse me
if I turn into a totally wrong direction. Surely I could spend more time on
this subject and work out some details, but I don't have much time at the
moment.

Discussion is always an ongoing process, and I don't think it's a question of
"kill or die". OzoneDB will hardly get into a position of being a competitor
to EJB-driven database platforms. However there are advantages of OzoneDB.
It's a Java persistence engine with transactions and XML support, and this
core should be expanded - whether according to standards or not. If standards
exist, it's ok, if not, it's fun. The future market will set the de-facto
standards. Why shouldn't we try to become a part of the future market?

The gap between EJB-driven RDBMS (and therefore the whole J2EE platform) and
object databases like OzoneDB is big. I think EJB is a mess. Still the
concept of beans as being reusable, embeddable, modular, vendor-independant
software components is a good one, because it's a door-opener for third
parties, for market shares, you know what I mean. But OzoneDB does not have a
concept of a bean component technology (please excuse me if I'm wrong).

In my eyes, we could make a good target if we define something like "Java
Object Beans" (JOBs), together with a companion "Java Object Query Beans"
(JOQBs) -  ohh, I'm aware that they must not be called "Java XYZ" because of
Sun's copyright. These beans could serve as a common ground or a focus on
which OzoneDB developers can work on. JOBs are simply the objects which can
be processed by the OzoneDB core engine, and JOQBs are extended JOBs which
represent query objects for the engine, for implementing add-ons like W3C
XQuery, XQL and so on.

In the end we have OzoneDB core vendors, and OzoneDB application vendors,
where only the beans need to be developed by the application vendors. With
the support of GUI tools for the beans, the latter task should be kept as
easy as possible.

Jörg

--
Jörg Prante
Sevenval AG (HRB 32757) e-business marketing technologies