Evaluation

IHello,
I have evaluated Ozone-DB for a couple of days now and just want to tell
you what I think, in the hope it will be useful for you to improve your
system. Specifically, I want to develop a web application using an oodb
and webmacro. I have previously done this using Objectivity and it
worked _very_ well. Now I am looking for a free alternative, because
Objectivity is rather expensive and there is no client to bill.

So first of all let me concratulate you for having built such a hughe
system, which seems function well in it's intended way. I have run
several of the examples and all seems ok.

I have choosen not to use it and here is why:
-- the architecture is the wrong way around. In ozone the client is dumb
(only the data is carried in the proxies) and the server carries the
full Object implementation. So I must place my code in the server to be
efficient, but I need the result at the client. The better way is to let
the server just store data, and have the client do data manipulation.

-- the equation one funtion, one transaction is often not true.
Especially with the code being on the server, I'd have to collect my
data, keep it dumb (in basic types) send it to the server and do the
work there. For me a transaction is more often a change in attribute
here, an object added there and so on, two or three things together
anyway. I loose the "atomic" if I do that on the client.

-- Schema evolution is missing (I haven't seen any mention). This is not
acceptable, because any real world application _will_ change. In fact
quite advanced tools would be of benefit here, i.e. Adding/removing data
fields is simple, changing container types automatically would be nice.
(One of the constant choices one has to make in a oodb is the
implementation of an association. Invariably these have to change)

--Also the architecture makes schema evolution impossible, because one
JVM can only have one instance of a class loaded.

-- Search facilities are essentaial. When they are not in the db, it
just means the programmer has to code them (always the same, rebuild the
wheel). Also it leads to better performace.

Please don't take this wrong, it is meant to be constructive.
I would really like to see an open all java oodb, but am not in a
position to help you other than this.

Cheers
	Torsten

PS: I am not subscribed to this list, but you can mail to me privately.

--
Torsten Rueger        ::\`--._,'.::.`._.--'/::    Try not.
First Hop Oy.         ::::.  ` __::__ '  .::::    Do or do not.