Re: Query kernel

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, s dasarathi wrote:
> hi falko,
>    i had some  doubts while thinking
> about the kernel.
>    it has to have front ends for OQL, SODA etc etc
> say for OQL, we need to have some interpreter that
> converts the  queries to some statements which will
> be understood by the kernel.

This would be one approach but not the best I guess. The query kernel should
provide a Java API that is able to serve as the back-end for several front-end
systems (even non-text-language systems).

>   and the kernel returns the result of the query
> in a manner understood by the front end which then
> outputs it to the user.
Yes. Such a front-end system would have to interpret the "language" that it is
designed to support (OQL, SOADA...) into query kernel API calls and vice versa.
But it would _not_ have to deal with the implementation of the query algorithms
itself. The kernel provides a rich API (and implementation) that hides the ozone
specific (and probably tricky) implementation from the fron-ends.

>    if all the above is fine then it is just
> a matter of retrieving data from the DB.
> what other functionalities do u think this kernel should have??
see above