Re: Query kernel

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001, Dasarathi wrote:
> hi falko,
>   i understand ur problems
> but right now we r stuck.
> the source code is just too big
> since there is not much documentation
> it would help if we know what portion of
> code  to deal with so that we could try and
> understand that part properly
>    i know how an ODBMS works but
> dont know how exactly Ozone does since
> it doesn't fully support ODMG standard.
> i got the idea of proxy objects and all that
> but not anything yet about low level storage and stuff like that.

I suggested you guys to work on the query kernel exactly because I know how
hard it is to start working on code that is written by someone else. Again, I
see the query kernel as an 'application' of the native ozone API that works on
top of this native ozone API. And so you don't need to deal with the existing
code that much. However, since the query kernel is not yet there I'm of course
not sure if it can be done this way. You have to find out.

>     i know a decent amount of SQL and OQL.
> what i think is the following
>   suppose we develop a query api for OQL
> we get an idea of how the api should be.
> so this can be extended to support say SODA
> and finally we will  have a language independent kernel
> otherwise its difficult thinking of what api to expect

Great. Making the API to support OQL is probably a good starting point. We will
see how this fit into ozone and we will learn about the general requirements
and pitfalls of the query kernel implementation.