Re: storage Structure

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:29:51 +0200
Falko Braeutigam <falko@smb-tec.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Apr 2001, Margit Lang wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am a student from Austria and have a question about the database
structure
> > used in ozone. What kind of database is it exactly?
> Can you be more specific? What exactly do you want to know???
>
> > And how are especially
> > XML files stored in the database?
> The current version uses one database object for each DOM node and
clusters
> those DOM nodes just like any other database objects. Wenzel is about to
play
> with some other approaches in order to come up with a design that is
faster
> and scales better. Wenzel, any news?

No news yet, still looking at the fundamentals. But I'll let you know as
soon as they come up.

> > Are there any connections of ozone to the
> > project Lore (from Stanford university)?
> No.

There are a couple of basic differences between ozone and Lore affecting
their usability: Lore is a finished research project and therefore
maintenance is discontinued. On the other hand ozone as being constantly
worked on. But what really makes the difference is the fact that ozone is
open source and free to use in any circumstances (not just evaluating,
personal use or similar).

At Stanford's Lore project they also mention their 'Ozone' project that is
(was?) built on top of O2. But I've not seen anything about this 'Ozone'
being used anywhere. Are maybe the people at INRIA / Xyleme(SA) using this
technology? Wouldn't be surprising, but I haven't got a clue.

This leads me to another point, now referring to ozone/XML: besides the
couple of projects mentioned on the website I don't know if anybody is
really using it. Would be nice to know about some real usecases. This
is probably one of the drawbacks of not dealing with a commercial product
where you might just go through your list of licensees. But even them commercial
vendors only seem to be 'able to do everything and really fast'. So I'm
just hoping to see some XML benchmark results in the near future.

Wenzel