Re: Ozone object identity...

Tim and all,

first of all, I really really love to see you guys discussing the future of
ozone. This is great. I'm proud and happy that we (Gerd and me) did something
that people are actually picking up, using it, discussing about and changing
for their needs. Really proud :) Being part of this is pure fun for me.
Discussing ideas is fun for me. Unfortunately my English is just to bad
sometimes. So please, don't take all this too serious. Its never meant as harsh
as it may sound sometimes.

This said...

On Tue, 01 May 2001, Tim Brown wrote:
> Falko,
>
> What is so evil about giving the programmer the option of
> doing things different ways?  If a getIdentity() or getKey()
> is available and you think it is evil to use it, don't.  In
> fact for most programming I can think of doing I like Ozone
> the way it is.  On the other hand if a particular
> enhancement (query functionality) requires a unique ID ,
> then why not just implement it?
>
> You can warn everyone of the advantages and disadvantages to
> doing this ot that but, I draw the line at not documenting
> something because someone "might" abuse it.  Also, if it is
> abusive or evil , can you state in technical terms why?

I had a clear idea what ozone should be. If somebody wants to add
(remove/change) something that in my eyes does not fit into this vision then I
will throw in all the arguments I've got and I will not stop discussing until
someone actually convinced me. Look at other sucessful OS projects - they are
discussing each and and everything until they are sick and tired of it.
The actual code does benefit from such discussions. The more messy the
discussion gets the more clear the code will be.

On the other hand consider the following. Four years ago I went out to make a
car. I did analyse the problem and came up with a design. Now someone is trying
to mount wings on this car. IMO this is bad. Of course it is possible to do so
and it will maybe work but it is bad however. Making an airplane is totally
different from making a car. The problem is different and so the design is
different too. If we add things to the original design just because it is
possible to do so, then we end up with something that is not a real good car
but also not a real good airplane. And, last not least, people will not see
what is this all about and where it actually fits into their own needs (we do
have this problem even today)

Anyway, David is far from trying to mount wings on ozone ;) Ola did clarify
this. I'm sure we will find a great solution for the identity problem - and
have fun doing so! :)