Re: Ozone object identity...

Ola Berg wrote:

> What David seems to suggest is that every ozone object should be globally and eternally
> unique (GEU), and retrievable via a retrieval mechanism in Ozone that you feed with a
>  identifier object. I believe this is good, and that it breaks my suggestion for using
> Object.

I think you can have the IdentityObject that is comparable(implements
equals() and hashcode()) but if you ask it for it's identity, it will
give you an externalized representation.

> What type should getKey() return? It should be something primitive. If one can ensure GEU
> using long (which I doubt), let it return long. I know that byte[] will always work, and be > generic enough. Any OzoneObjectIdentifier will in effect be a wrapper around the thing that > getKey() returns.

Key has connotations in the relational world and since identity is
unique then getIdentity() or getOID() or getObjectIdentifier() are much
better than getKey().

> I dislike David's String proposal.

I understand but this is how the WWW URI scheme works as well as other
programmatic lookups such as JNDI, RMI registry etc. so it can't be all
that bad.

I'd like to see ozone become a world class object storage mechanism so
if I could help document the vision, design etc. let me know.

I'm a little disappointed that nobody commented on my previous post in
this thread.

Eric