Re: OPP Behaviour

Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> On Thu, 03 May 2001, Eric Richardson wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am working with OPP and found the behaviour a bit strange. If I keep
> > the source -ks option I need to generate into my classpath where javac
> > is putting my other class files but then the source file is left in the
> > classes area.
> >
> > The generated file is in the correct package but the javac doesn't honor
> > the package and the classes dir from a compiling perspective.
> >
> > Do you think this is wrong? The java compiler is pretty smart and looks
> > at the class file and the src file to see if it is out of date as well
> > as the way ant works.
> >
> > Should the OPP take a classes directory and source path so it compiles
> > the file in the directory based on the package using the following
> > options?
> >
> > -sourcepath <path>     Specify where to find input source files
> > -d <directory>         Specify where to place generated class files
> >
> > If the following two args were passed in ProxyGenerator.java
> > compileSource() method to javac then I think that javac would avoid
> > compiling up to date proxies and perhaps OPP could look at timestamps as
> > well so it won't generate if the class file hasn't been changed.
> >
> > What do you think? This could also potentially speed up builds.
>
> This is true. David brought this problem up to the table sometime ago. AFAIK he
> is working on a solution. But, as he pointed out, checking all dependincies of
> proxies is tricky.
>
> Any news here David? ;)

I'm very interested in trying to make Ozone easier to use for
developers. Going to ant is great and I believe the whole proxy
generation can be made a bit easier as this is the area I had the most
problem with. I'd be glad to do some coding as well if necessary.

I remember seeing a thread and some code for an OPPTask and the
discussion of the build directory but I'm not sure what thread that was.

Eric