RE: Ozone Doc Project

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001, Per Nyfelt wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Was wondering how people felt about having an install for the docs.
> I think it works fine the way it is now.
>

> > I'm not an ANT expert but here is my idea.
> >
> > 1. Zip up the contents of the style sheet as they change often.
> Wouldn't this mean a lot of work when a change is made (the zip file has to
> be updated every time a change is made)?
> > 2. Zip up the contents of the docbook dtd.
> > 3. Include both of these in CVS.
> >
> > Create a target to use the jar task to unzip these either as a separate
> > target or as part of a depends. If the target removes the zip file after
> > uncompressing we could have a little installed target that looks for the
> > zips and recommends to do the install if it is not installed yet.
> >
> > Is this a good idea?
> Maybe. What is the problem you like to solve by doing this?
>

> > What is the cvs command to ci binary files? cvs -kb add?
> yes, cvs add -kb <filename>
>

> > I'm still working on the Doc How to.
>
> I am too :) Lets sync our different suggestions. I just put what i did in
> CVS src/howto/ozone-documentation-howto.xml and also a licence text as
> src/howto/ozone-documentation-licence.xml. I saw some problems that i tried
> to solve in this suggestion. As far as i can tell there is no legal body
> that holds Ozone copyright other than SMB so I put SMB as the copyright
> holder for the document and propose we do the same for everything else
> coming, that is if SMB agrees ;)
SMB just holds the copyright for 'the initial code and portions created by
SMB'. So everybody is free to add his/her copyright to modified files and/or
put his/her copyright on top of newly created files. At least this was/is my
understanding from how (L)GPLed code should be handled.

Another, maybe better, possibilitity to handle the copyright problem ist to
finally switch to a BSD-style license and make 'The Ozone Project' the
copyright holder. The problem here might be that 'The Ozone Project' ist no
legal entity. And, it's not sure if ozone is big enough to benefit from a BSD
(maybe Apache) license and what's the benefit of the different licenses anyway.

That said, personally currently I would prefer a BSD-style license but, in
contrast to Apache, oblique people/projects/products that use ozone to give
prominent notice that they do. So we would no longer focus on protecting the
code (GPL) but from now on focus on popularising our name 'ozone' and benefit
only from that.

Ideas?

Falko