need help (this is both a users and dev question, I think)

Folks,
I downloaded the 1.0.1 version and unpacked, set up environment variables (correctly, I think), ran the build with only Javadoc errors (are those typical?), ran the Install app to set up data directory, changed to the samples\simple folder and started "ozone -dE:\ozone". When I try running the build batch file, I get the following error and now I'm lost:

C:\Java\ozone101\samples\simple>..\..\build.bat

I can't even figure out what path it cannot find...

If I try running "ojvm Client", I get the following error (assuming because I couldn't build?):
C:\Java\ozone101\samples\simple>ojvm Client
connected...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: org.ozoneDB.ClassNotFound
Exc: BusImpl_Proxy
        at org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.sendCommand(ExternalDatabase.java:528)
        at org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.sendCommand(ExternalDatabase.java:500)
        at org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.createObject(ExternalDatabase.java:732)
        at org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.createObject(ExternalDatabase.java:716)
        at Client.main(Client.java:36)

If I start "ozone -dE:\ozone" and then "ojvm Blob" in samples\Blob or "ozone -dE:\ozone" and then "ojvm OO1" in samples\OO1, thing seem to work, although I not quite sure what I'm looking at yet!  Subtle hint that a better (very simplistic) explanation of what ozone actually does might be useful.  I am just trying to determine if it has the capabilities I am looking for...

Here is the pertinent environment variable config:
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\
JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.3.0_02
OS=Windows_NT
Os2LibPath=C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;
OZONE_HOME=C:\java\ozone101
OZONE_JAVAC=javac
OZONE_JVM=java
Path=C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\MSSQL7\BINN;C:\Java\jdk1.3.0_02\bin;C:\java\ozone101\bin

Any help here would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Wes Crucius