Questions for Falko and Ozone gurus

Falko (or anyone that has been deeply involved in Ozone transactions),

I have completed the Ozone network layer documentation and will post it
soon. I am now into Ozone transactions, and my total inexperience in DBMS
implementation shows. I need help. Here's what about:

Method calls are eventually processed by the InvokeServer and delegated to
the TransactionManager's handleCommand() method, which in the case of NON
client-demarcated transactions will call completeTransaction(), which
itself holds the following code:

         if (performCommand( ta, command )) {
             if (prepareTransaction( ta, command )) {
                 commitTransaction( ta, command );
             }
         }

I understand transactions of course (how they are associated with a server
thread, etc), but as an end-developper, not as a DBMS implementor!!! Is
there a way you (or someone else knowledgeable) could provide some
explanations about the life-cycle of a transaction within Ozone? How a
Transaction object ultimately interacts (indirectly or not) with the
back-end storage system during the different commit phases? What are the
different states of a transaction - what is their semantics? When is an
ObjectContainer activated/deactivated (when it is read from/persisted to
disk ?) ?

Also, if you have any links on DBMS (especially OODBMS) implementation,
theory, etc., post them!

Viel Dank,

Yanick