Re: transaction scoping

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000, Rob van Oostrum wrote:
> by my understanding, you have to mark all methods that (may) change the
> state of an object. How about methods that change the state of multiple
> objects of different classes?

In ozone a state of an object can only be changed by a method of the class. That
is, it isn't possible to directly access members from outside. So, a method of a
database object can change the state of one object only. Of course, such a
method may call other methods which inturn change the state of other objects...

> If one of these calls fails, I want to roll
> the whole thing back. From what I gather from the documentation, this isn't
> covered by the current stuff. Has anyone given any thought about how to
> solve this?

No a lost you, I guess. Can you explain more?

A transaction normally contains of many subsequent method calls. If one of
them fails (or someone else decides to abort) then the complete transaction is
rolled back.