RE: transaction scoping

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000, Rob van Oostrum wrote:
> I see your points. More generically speaking, my question could have been:
> how do I write methods to be transactionally safe on their own, as well as
> when they're called as part of a larger logical transaction. My follow-up
> therefor:

You are asking for nested transaction. Did I get this right? Nested transaction
are not supported.

> I was a developer on the IBM San Francisco project, which resembles some of

I just browsed the SF web site. Please forgive my ignorance but wasn't it an OS
project some time ago? What's the normal way to use it today? Do I have to buy
anything? and what? Their web site isn't clear on that.

> the elements of ozone (factory, server-side objects accessed by proxy) and I
> used the framework in several application development projects. One of the
> main problems we encountered was the need for transactional systems to bunch
> up transactions. Think about batch transactions. You have a 100 objects that
> you want to update in batch, and you want the whole batch to succeed or
> fail. If something goes wrong in processing objext #25, you don't want the
> other 75 to possibly fail as well, so you just roll the whole batch back.

This again sounds like you just want to explicitely control transaction
boundaries via begin()/commit()/abort(). This is no problem in ozone. ozone
provides a very flexible transaction API. For all-day-use implicite transaction
demarcation is great, for tricky things explicite demarcation can be used and
for app server integration there is a XAResource...