Updating classes

What is the best way to update a class that's in the
database?  I made a simple class interface:

public interface Dna extends OzoneRemote
{
    public String getDna();
    public void setDna(String seq); /*update*/
}

I saved one in the database, then tried to add a
method:

public interface Dna extends OzoneRemote
{
    public String getDna();
    public void setDna(String seq); /*update*/
    public String readMe();
}

This doesn't work, however.  I get a null-pointer
exception when I try to pull the old object out with
the updated Dna.  WOuld it work if I had it inherit
the methods from a second interface?