Re: possible ozone 0.6 bug?

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> > > I am getting pessimistic about loading my 15Mb of
> > > botanical descriptions in Ozone on my 64Mb Linux machine.
> > 64Mb is probably not enough. Do you really need all
> > the data in one XML document?

> If you have 10K contact items in one doc, and a separate xml document for
> their appointments and a third for to-do assignments, how well is Ozone
> going to handle joined XPath queries? One sees ref/id techniques, but is the
> Ozone DOM going to support that? It seems like DOM Level2 stuff.
>
> It almost seems like we need to know what's in the future for XQL or
> something equivalent before we can really know what a 'relational' select in
> multiple XML docs will practical. Ozone's potential seems directly tied to a
> way to work with multiple xml docs.

I think it is Prowler that answers the issues raised here (please
correct me if I am wrong, someone).

Prowler provides the means to integrate arbitrary numbers of individual
XML files under a single document root.  So, you can have a single
superdocument that is composed of many individual XML documents.  This
superdocument can be queried using XPath (and eventually I expect XQL)
as if it were a single organic unit.

A frequent confusion is between document size and database size.
quantity of data does not necessary stress Ozone or Prowler as
database/content management systems.   A document that large probably
has natural divisions (perhaps thousands of descriptions, each of them
relatively small).  Lots of XML data fits that profile.  The solution is
simply to split the data up into thousands of files, and load them into
Prowler.  Some file systems (e.g., Linux's ReiserFS) are designed to
deal efficiently with hundreds of thousands of small files,
incidentally.

 Steve