Re: *URGENT* -- Call for support

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Sean Allen wrote:
> I concur whole-heartedly,
>
> I think Ozone is a great project, and has much potential for the future,
> It's a great Idea, implemented well, and I think it has a definite place
> amoungst all the various Java technology's that have exploded onto the
> scene (EJB, JDO etc)
> it offers, in my opinion a much purer solution than anything Sun have
> come up with for a persistant Java-Store as it does not waste it's time
> trying to map Object's to anything "Flat" (except serialized objects of
> course).
> I have just got back from a well needed break and I have some free time
> this year, before moving to Palo Alto, CA (My wife is from there) later
> this Year.
> I will gladly donate some time to Ozone this Year, and sincerely hope
> that the project (and your Interest in it,  Falko!!!) continues.
> Someone point me at something to do and I will gladly help out as time
> and ability (just being realistic) allow
> Ozone is by far and away one of the better OSS Java projects I've seen.
> and like I said, I would gladly contribute some time to it this year.
> is there a list of TO-DO's somewhere?

There is an (of course totalle incomplete) list of to-do's in the CHANGES file.
The current entries are:

- complete documentation
- security
- distributed ozone nodes: distributed transactions/commit
- optimistic locking
- EJB container (EJBoss?)
- paging server for store back-end
- re-clustering on commit and cluster load
- much more...

Besides I would add the following:

- graphical admin tool (swing or HTML or both or other)
- reworking XML support (DOM2)
- S.O.D.A support (descriptive query "language")
- improve scalability by using unsynchronized java2 collections + explicite
  synchronization (core)
- garbage collector (not sure)
- equivalent of session beans (not sure)

Note that JDO is not on this list. Last year I spent a lot of time making an
ODMG layer for ozone. I never liked ODBMG but people seemed to need an
"standard" API to rely on. Today, a half year later, I believe that nobody did
actually even look at this work... :( If anybody here wants to see JDO support
for ozone, fine, go for it. I will support such an effort. But I will not start
working on it myself.

Sean and all, I'm glad to see that after all some guys seem to be really
interested in ozone. Anyway, honestly I have to say that unfortunately this
does not change my situation. Just don't expect me to work on ozone as much as
in the past. I'm simple not able to do this! ozone has to become a real
community driven project. Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy to be a
part of this community and maybe coordinating things or something but not do
the entire work.