Re: Very Urgent !!

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:45:09 -0500
"Knapp, Robert \(CAP, CMC\)" <Robert_Knapp@mortgage.ge.com> wrote:

> If I understand what you are saying (it's been a long week, so please bare
> with me),
> it may be exactly what we need.  Our design specifies for a database
> encapsulator
> which will accept queries, translate them and return an XML string(or parsed
> xml string) to the calling agent. (One of the reasons Ozone is our first
> target is that I thought it would be easy to implement on Ozone, and allow
> us to concentrate on the bussiness logic of the app). All we would be doing
> is storing and retrieving these objects.  So this should be easy, but
> there's always a but.... Certain industries require specific databases (for
> example most US government labs require an oracle backend.), so we need
> something that can retrieve and store from OODBMS's and RDBMS's.

Just a comment: there is a more general approach to extract XML content
from a dedicated data source: the XML:DB API Project. It claims to
provide a common programming interface that is based on XML (DOM, SAX,..) -
something like JDBC/ODBC for SQL (relational data sources).

I hope that Prowler will support this API sometime in the future. And
if some database backends will support the API then application programming
would be a lot easier.

See http://www.xmldb.org for further information.

Lars
Lars Martin                                    mailto:lars@smb-tec.com