Ozone and JDO (was: RE: *URGENT* -- Call for support)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Don Berendsen wrote:
> Thanks Eric for sharing your views on Ozone. I am fairly new to the world of
> Java and XML and don't feel qualified to offer much guidance on the future
> path for Ozone but would like to share my thoughts.
>
> The work that Falko and others on the Ozone team have done is very
> impressive and the core Ozone engine appears to be quite solid. Yet there
> does not seem to be a great deal of interest in Ozone and I was thinking
> about what might help broaden the appeal of Ozone.
>
> Related to this I found your comments on JDO quite interesting. JDO
> compliance looks like a necessary capability to be a serious entry in the
> Java dbms market. (for an intro to JDO see
> http://www.javareport.com/html/from_pages/view_recent_articles_jr.cfm?ArticleID=688
> )
>
> Falko, do you have a sense of how much work it would take to make Ozone JDO
> compliant?

I'm not sure. Last time I checked JDO spec I found it... don't know. Seems to
be designed to support EJB server. Anyway, the problem is probably not the
amount of work (should be _that_ much), the questions is, is ozone suited to
support JDO anyway? As I sayd in one of my last mails, ozone is _not_ a simple
persistent object store. Any ideas?

> It seems alignment with JDO might help broaden Ozone's appeal. For a
> prospective user having minimum dependence on a single product can be a real
> plus.
>
> The need for a query capability comes up periodicaly on this list. Although
> it pretty sketchy at this point, the JDO spec attempts to address the query
> issue in a way that is query language neutral. I think that having even a
> minimal query capability would be a real plus for Ozone. Given clear goals,
> specifications and constraints this is an area where I could contribute.
>
> On the surface it isn't obvious how the proposed JDO query approach would be
> useful if Ozone were being used as an XML repository. I agree with Eric's
> statement that 'xml is definitely not a storage format, it's only an
> exchange format'. To me it seems some of the issues raised here concerning
> XML and Ozone may be due to an inappropriate use of the technology.
>
> Falko, as I mentioned at the end of last year over the next couple of weeks
> I'll be putting together a writeup of our experiences to date with Ozone.
> (They've been very positive!). Last week I gave the first demo at our core
> distributers conference of our new product which will use Ozone. A few weeks
> before the conference I was given a requirement for some major new
> capabilities that required significant structural changes to the database.
> The changes were made and worked. I wouldn't even want to try that with a
> RDBMS under the app.
:)