Re: Fixing in DB object's state change and retrive it

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Anton Vityaz wrote:
> Can I store in Ozone not only current (actual) state of my object but also
> support store it's state dynamic (internal transaction log)?
> We assume what after every successful transaction under object (suppose it
> Entity Bean in EJB), I want store the state change and later create object
> with full-filled previous state - but this operation didn't suppose
> substitution of actual object state (this is useful for us when we want get
> object dynamic history).

ozone does not support object versioning.

BTW: for ozone and other OODBs transaction logging would not provide
restoreable object version like it does for SQL DBs. This is because in
contrast to SQL it isn't possible to find a reverse operation for all methods
that has been called on the objects.

So OODBS have to store the entire objects state of each version. You might do
this 'by hand' in your application.

Are others interested in object versioning?

> By a way:  We want choose DB-backend for our project (our team work under it
> near 1 year) with main function - managing  UML-model server for design and
> develop distributed representation of system engineering process. So main
> highlights of it server is support UML model with multi-user access based on
> Application Server (EJB) and client SystemStudio with full-featured diagram
> support (like Rational Rose - but on Java and lightweight and portable). At
> September in Germany we want represent full-featured, ready-to-use  project
> at Conference in Kassel. After completion and testing we want create public
> snapshot of project before conference at the WWW.
>
> But I want return to the Ozone. At this time we don't create XMI (XML-based
> of course) store of model representation - with which tool more efficiently
> to do it in distributed component environment?

Sorry but I'm not sure if I understand what you want to do. Storing your object
model as XML? Or not?

> P.S. I think it be very usefully for both project (our SystemNest and Ozone
> + Infozone) to create unified modeling/representation/store environment - so
> we all can get synergetic effect of  unified UML / XML / Java + EJB + CORBA
> / OODB technology  - and build full support of Information System's  life
> cycle. What's think about it community ?

Can you explain more?