Re: Schema evolution / import-export

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> Do Ozone have something like SerialVerUID, like in Java Serialization
> mechanism ?
Yes. Ozone uses Java serialization to make objects persistent. So the
serialVersionUID mechanism works. Right now this is the only best way to have
something like schema evolution. Using serialVersionUID it is possible to load
serialized objects into new class versions. I have described this in more
detail in an earlier post.

> Davide Mora wrote:
>
> > Hi to everybody,
> >
> > i need to evolve the objects of my database.
> > What's the better way? Right now, i'm thinking to
> > write ad hoc export/import programs from ozone to xml
> > and vice versa, but it's long and critical to write
> > and mantain.
> > Other ideas?

A XML im/export (complete XML dump of the database) should be no problem once
we have the generic object<->XML mapping in place. Erik has some experiences
here and we have already discussed these things a bit. Maybe he will help us
with this stuff. Erik, more ideas on this? ;)