Re: New demo

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> > I think of some kind
> > "started kids". They should show how to use ozone
> > for a special kind of
> > applications and they should be easy to enhance and
> > adapt to meet special needs.
> > Another good idea is to implement a OO benchmark.
> > OO7 would be nice.
>
> I'm thinking about develop a new benchmark demo as you
> suggested.
> I was thinking about an "enhanced" version of the
> "cars" example: the object Car will contains the parts
> list for build it (seats, tires, etc.).
> The numbers of cars to create will be configurable.
> The program will create N cars, and will totalize the
> kind and number of parts required.
> What do you think?
I would prefer some kind of "standard" benchmark. This would allow us to
compare results to the results of other systems.

Please have a look at http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_db_systems_1.html section
"Benchmarks". There are a lot of articles about such "standard" benchmarks. We
should pick one that emulates a typical ozone application best.

> > Besides a
> > XML based administration tool is really, really
> > needed. Ok, much work, I know.
> > Take your pick! ;)
>
> I don't know a lot about xml right now, if you are
> interested, i can write a new one using swing...
Wow!... that would be really cool. Our admin tool should be a Swing app that
can deal with the following:

1. like users, groups, permissions, shutdown etc. (see our current tool
"ozoneAdminTerm")

2. more complex properties: Store type, cluster size, cache size, log system...

3. display some status information: loaded cluster, cache capacity, log
information

4. the actual database content: the admin tool will work with the DOM (XML)
representation of the database content. This DOM layer is provided by another
component. The admin tool just uses the DOM representation to, hmm... display a
collapsable tree, do XPATH queries, dump parts of the database to/from file as
XML, what else?