Installation problems

Here are some problems I had when I tried to install ozone:
the tutorial says i should compile the server. But I downloaded the
binary version. I finally started the database without recompiling.
The ozoneEnv.bat-scripts set the environment wrong:
 I set OZONE_HOME to c:\xml\ozone,
 and after the script the CLASSPATH was C:\xml\ozone\ozone.jar but
 the jar-files where in ozone\bin. (I know not a big problem, but
 maybe you want to fix it). After copying the files to the
 right place ozoneInit worked.
I tried the source-code-zip, but had to fix some scripts in
the ozone/bin directory. They use the command "source" and not ".".
I am using FreeBSD and the /bin/sh of FreeBSD knows not "source"
(source is as far as I know not in the POSIX-Standard)
(maybe someone who has access to the cvs wants to change the "source" to
 ".")
I have not jikes, so i had to fix the makefile.env

After that "make" worked fine. But "make api-doc" failed because I
have only jdk1.1.8

The tutorial says I should put OZONE_HOME in my path, but why? The
executables are in ozone/bin. Here is a quote of the tutorial:
"export OZONE_HOME='your_ozone_directory'
 source $OZONE_HOME/bin/ozoneEnv
 export PATH=$OZONE_HOME:$PATH
"