Re: Object is not (yet) associated to a database container? [SOLUTION]

On Sunday, February 4, 2001, at 06:56 PM, Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> I think I got your point, Andreas. It is, from the users (app programmer) point
> of view you just need to know what a product, ozone in this case, can/cannot do
> for you. Period. Right?

Right. That's why I used the ozone-users mailing list.

> Ok, but now try to get my point. ozone is open source! There are many more
> options than "can" or "cannot". At least there is: "we should discuss", or "why
> don't we try", "is it a good idea to", or even better "I would like to
> add/improve this or that".

I agree. But in this case I understand why there is this limitation, and I think it's ok, but first you have to know it.

We have different targets. Yours is to develop ozone, mine is to use it, with its current limitations (it doesn't matter if it's a limitation of Java, like the non-serializable Enumerations, or of ozone itself).
But even users can contribute to ozone by telling the developers of errors of the source or of the (currently non-existing[1]) documentation.

And I think that's the greatest problem of all opensource projects: bad or no documentation. Just try to get one for icqlib for example. I know it's hard, but sometimes you have to sit down and just write text.

As a side note, I once tried to understand ozone, but got lost in its endless interface declarations.

andy
[1] I mean insightful documentation. The existing docs are just enough to get started, but complex hierarchies like the one I use are a different story.

--
Description forthcoming.