Re: ozone & modularity

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 6, 2001, at 12:56 PM, Falko Braeutigam wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 06 Feb 2001, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> > > I did some testing on a database server some time ago (not much better than
> > > my machine). It got about 5000 queries/sec (real-world usage).
> >
> > Did this test involve execution of any Java code??? ...
> >
> > Please, let's try to not compare apples to pears.
>
> I don't think that the difference 2 <-> 5000 is only related to it being in Java.

I did not talk about the database engine itself (written in Java or not). I was
talking about the queries. You are probably speaking about SQL queries - which
are not comparable to a real OO solution like ozone. What does this mean: "5000
SQL queries" - in a Java environment? Nothing, in my experience! SQL is not the
whole story when doing Java app development. The whole story is: do the SQL
query + try to find a good data mapping + do the mapping + try to get db
transaction into Java + ...
I believe you will not find any Java OR mapper that is faster than ozone in a
real OO application.