Re: Design question

Falko Braeutigam wrote:
> > > Why do you need to access the target object? I'm still in the opinion that
> > > good design can help to avoid the need to access the target object. Am I
> > > idealistic about this?

In this case it is pretty well agreed upon that there are objects that
are semantically readonly. The general case is that an object is
created, changes, and then is destroyed for its lifecycle. The readonly
case is where the object doesn't transform in it's lifecycle.

> > Very simple. I have a web page that I need to display all the info about a
> > user on. I just need all the data (read only situation) from that object so
> > I can display it on the page. I certainly don't want to call a "getter" for
> > each piece of data if it's a remote object.

This is very slow from my J2EE experience due to the network latency.

> > Again, it's exactly like the value object, but I'm just thinking of doing it
> > the easy way (maintaining all the value objects and data objects separately
> > is a big nuisance if the system is simple enough--and much less efficient).

The design guidelines for J2EE recommend this approach. Data objects are
created on the server
in a SessionBean and returned as serialized object via the ORB.

> When I want to present an ozone object in the browser then I convert it to XML
> (xmlForObject()) and pass it through a XSLT processor (I'm using Cocoon and
> Infozone/Prowler but this is not a must). This works great, simple, fast.

This sounds like a good idea.

I'm new to Ozone but know a fair bit about some of these design points.
I used Versant in 93-94 and have been through the C++/CORBA, Java/RMI
and now am working with J2EE and am glad to be back to an ObjectBase
like Ozone. Thanks for the great Open Source object server.
Eric :-)