RE: Ozone

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, William Uther wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm somewhat surprised people are having major difficulties.  I compile
> and run Ozone 4 on a mac (jdk 1.1.8).
The currently released code is JDK1.1 compliant. However, I've started coding
an OzoneClassLoader to handle the reloadClasses() problem. This code really
needs jdk1.2. I don't see an jdk1.1 compliant way of doing this. BTW, I ran
into some tricky problems with the ClassLoader. Anybody willing to help with
this?

>   Yes, I've found I have to rip bits out of the source to get it to
> compile.  (No makefiles or batch files and I haven't written an Ant build
> file yet.)  I posted the list of stuff to remove not so long ago.

As soon as the current version seems to be stable I will of course make binary
distros again. I don't wanted to make start/build scripts for NT because I'm
absolutely unfamiliar with NT. Besides I need to know why people are here on
the list - pure OODBMS or XML users, interested in helping, just listening and
learning, whatever. So far it seems to me that most of the subscribers want to
find out what these ODBMSs and ozone is all about. Some doing projects with
ozone and only few are interested in helping with its development. What do
you think? Am I right?

>   Anyway, on to Ozone:
>
>   - Ozone seems to be a reasonable OODB.  Open source is cool.
:)
>   - The idea of keeping all processing in the server is a good one.
>   - Ozone currently does not support ODMG standards, although that is being
> worked on I believe.
Since I found one of the bugs that prevent me from making the new release I can
dedicate more time to ODMG again.

>   - Ozone requires more work than some other OODB's I've seen in that it
> requires you to specify an interface for each 'ozone class'.  The problem
> I've found with my project is that almost everything ends up being a
> proxied class and so you end up doing work to keep things in sync.  Other
> systems just require you to build the implementation and then generate both
> the interfaces and proxies using an OPP-like tool.
This has to be changed. The XML descriptor and the generetor code is
already ther I need to incorporate it. Damn, it takes me to much time to write
those f*cking English emails... ;)

>   - Ozone doesn't currently allow proxied objects to be used as keys in a
> hashtable.  More generally, it doesn't allow you to use an object where
> non-standard serialization is used and accesses a proxied object during
> de-serialization.  This is a tricky bug to fix (I think I know how, but it
> would require some non-trival architecture changes and hacking).
So what can I say here, Will? Fix it and send the path! ;) Anyway, I don't
really sure if this really is a bug. Again Will, do you think you need exactly
this szenario?