RE: Ozone

Sorry, forgot to reply to this one.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> Personally I have stopped upgrading for a while.  I am at 0.3.2 until I see
> something more stable.  It also appears that current releases of ozone
> require JDK1.2 which really sucks on Linux, very slow.  I run jdk1.1.7 from
> blackdown with the TYA byte compiler with good results.  With this
> combination ozone0.3.2 seems to do everything I need it to.   I do hope
> however to upgrade at some point when it has stabilized.
>
> I didn't write just to complain, but rather see if I am missing something.
> Is there a way to make jdk1.2 run quickly?  Its screen draw time is
> terrible!  3-4 times slower than 1.1 w/tya.  Am I wrong about ozone
> stability?
Today, definitely Yes. The current release is much more reliable than 0.3.2.
You can handle a 300MB database with 32MB Java heap - something that is not
possible with 0.3.2. Besides it runs faster than one of the old 0.3x versions.

And, jdk1.2.2RC1 on Linux is the fastest platform for ozone I've ever tested,
even faster than 1.1.8 from IBM for my test cases.