Re: ozone db

Lurking for a while I have to drop in here regarding the ozone question.

I cross-post this to the ozone list.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Gerhard Paulus wrote:
> Hello Alvin,
>
> /*
> Hi. I would like to thank you for sO. ... I am still groping my way around sO.
> Although I agree that the simple program source codes are the best
> documentation, they are still insufficient for non-developers like me.
>
> Having said that, I am giving it my best shot. Who knows? I might even do
> the documentation myself!
> */
>
> I'd love that someone writes an introductory documentation for sO. In
> particular some kind of tutorial would be great to replace the various
> Simple*.java samples. A long time ago the Simple* programs were really
> simple but now so many things are packed into one database scenario
> that most people should find it difficult to understand the concept.
>
> A much better approach would be a tutorial where each chapter is in
> its own directory and comes with a complete database scenario of its own.
> Where each chapter has its own schema file and a read.me explaining
> things. Of course this means that for each chapter the schema must be
> generated individually and each chapter has its own database. Kind of
>
>    tutorial
>       chapter1      --> save and restore one Person object, no indexes
>       chapter2      --> save and restore 2 Person objects, with indexes
>       chapter3      --> save 3 Person objects and list with cursor
>       chapter4      --> save 2 Person objects and delete one of them
>       etc.
>
> If somebody starts this modular approach maybe others contribute more
> modules. And in the end you have a case-based user guide which could
> be downloaded as tutorial.jar. IMHO sO is quite easy to use and
> certainly also a useful tool for Java beginners. But admittedly not
> with the documentation currently available ... :-)
>

> /*
> On another note, I would like to get your comments on this other open
> source Java database--
>
> www.ozone-db.org
>
> How similar is it to yours? How different is it from yours?
> */
>
> Both have the same objective: to write/read Java objects to/from disk.
> But ozone and sO use very different paradigms to do this.
>
> My understanding is that ozone is dead-drop serious about implementing the ODMG
> (http:www.odmg.org) Java binding. The concept is primarily to have named root
> objects which you can restore from the database and then all objects referenced
> by these root objects are loaded automatically as you use them in your code.
Yes, we are on our way to implement ODMG. Right now I'm working on it. Next
version will bring first public release.

> sO uses a simple save/restore/delete paradigm where all objects in the database
> can be accessed directly. As far as these basic operations are concerned sO works
> similar to a relational database, only that you do not save "rows" in various
> tables with primary keys but you save "objects" in one database with object ID's.
>
> For sure, sO also comes with methods to pull in all Java objects of network (graph)
> in one go and so on, but at least conceptually the ODMG approach is much more elegant.
> sO sees itself more as a reliable and fast work-horse over which you have full
> control and sO relies on only one single standard: core 1.1 Java.
The power of OODBMSs come out of the fact that each product meets the needs of
different application types. So having two (in fact, there are more) pure Java
OODBMSs makes perfect sense.

However, I'm interested in an in-depth comparison (where possible) of sO and
ozone, too. Can anybody provide real-world experiences?