Re: Ozone for mass XML storage?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Lutz Ehrlich wrote:
> Dear ozonies,
>

> I just came across ozone and wondered whether I could use it for my own
> projects. Maybe some of you could report what their own experiences
> where...
>
> Here's my scenario: We want to make available an entire database of
> XML-encoded structural biology data describing protein structures and
> related metadata. Right now, these files are stored in a pretty silly
> flat-file format which we convert into a DOM by means of homegrown
> codes. The number of documents is in the several thousands, each of
> which is about 100k long (containing several thousand elements). Has
> anybody tried to load a dataset like this into ozone? What are the
> experiences with multiple users trying to perform XPath queries
> simultaneously? Are there any benchmarks regarding performance?
Actually, I don't know the upper limit (number of object, database size,
number of concurrent users) that ozone is able to handle. So far, ozone
was able to run a test (OO1 sample) with 1 million objects without problems.

> I looked at the available documentation coming with the 0.4 distribution
> and couldn't find something like an overview article. Could anybody
> point me to relevant links or such?
The binary package contains javadoc generated docs. That's all documentation
available.

> Besides: Has anybody tried to hook up ozone to something like Zope via
> XML-RPC or CORBA? If the ozone db is up to the task I described I might
> be seriously interested in making it our backend DB for a webbased
> application...
We are using ozone with Cocoon (servlet). Somebody else is working on Enhydra -
ozone intergration. So far, I don't know any project that uses ozone in a
non-pure-Java environment.