Re: Requirements for Proxy Classes

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001, Henry Stern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read the Ozone tutorial and many of the samples, but one thing isn't
> clear to me.  Do I need to create proxy classes for every class I create on
> the server, or just for the classes that will directly interact with the
> client.

For every class on the server (database objects). This is because inside the
server exactly the same proxy mechanism is used to access one database object
from another one as to access an database object from the client.

> Also, if I use the persistent XML store functionality, do I have to worry
> about the overhead of RMI while I "walk" around the DOM?  Are there any ways
> to avoid this?

Yes, just put your 'business logic' that walks around the DOM in a database
class that then acts as a 'session bean' _inside_ the server, which is much
faster than accessing from the client.

For example: make a class DOMInspectorImpl (which is a ozone class) with method
findNodeByXXX() instead of doing this on the client.

Falko