Separate build and source directory?

Why does ozone not support separate directories for building and source?
The opp help says:

% $OZONE_HOME/bin/opp -h
Ozone Post Processor
usage: opp [-ks] [-st] [-p<pattern>] [-ni] [-nc] [-q] [-h] [-o<directory>]
[-odmg] class [class]*
    -ks       save the generated source files
    -KS       save the generated source files; do not invoke compiler
    -st       print stack trace
    -p        regular expression to specify update methods
    -ni       do not search interface code for update methods
    -q        supress output of any messages
    -o        out/input directory for class files and sources
    -odmg     create proxies for the ozone ODMG interface
    -nc       do not create code needed for direct invokes and
ClientCacheDatabase
    -version  shows version information
    -h        shows this help

Note the line "out/input directory for class files and sources" here. I
can't separate them. Until recently I compiled the proxies into the source
and afterwards cleaned up the mess using some moves.
But I updated from java 1.2 to 1.3 (I guess it's this switch that made the
difference, I updated the whole system) and now this workaround doesn't
work anymore because opp doesn't include the current directory (.) into
the classpath (that's where my *.class-files are, the source path is
specified using the -o switch), so some required classes aren't found.
My IDE requires *.java and *.class files to be separated (and I like this
approach).

What should I do? I could compile those *_Proxy.java-files manually, but
that's an even greater workaround than my older one.

andy
on Mac OS X (BSD-like) / Java 1.3