RE: eXelon performance

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, David Duddleston wrote:
> I figured it was probably Xalan being the hog.
>
> OK, so it seems obvious that bringing the DOM in mem and searching using
> Xalan is not a very good solution.
This is not what we are actual doing with ozone/XML. We directly run XPath on
the persistent DOM. Each DOM Element is a database object.

> What would be some alternatives. Maybe
> using XML data binding to bring in XML files in as Java Objects and then
> storing the Objects vs. a DOM... then you could use ozones ODMG dot syntax
> queries on the objects.
Directly accessing the DOM from Java via something like
document.getChild(1).getChild(2) is possible rigth now. But this is not the
same an a XPath query.

IMO XML data binding is intended to map business logic that is already coded
in Java to XML. If you will, DOM is the most general data binding because it
does not depend on any kind of business logic, you can use it if you want to
handle any kind of XML data. So making a new XML -> object mapping makes no
sense, we already have DOM. However, making such a new Java object
representation regarding a special query lang solution would ofc ourse make
sense. But because we are unable to make a new query solution (or even
implement XPath), we have to use software that is there already. And so we are
supporting DOM because Xalan and all other packages use it. So the only way
for us to improve performance of ozone/XML is to optimize our DOM to better meet
the needs of ozone and XPath. (and meanwhile wait for a better Xalan)

> I'm not sure how a solution like with would work
> with ozone since every class needs an interface for RMI. Maybe there would
> be a way to automate this process as part of the XML data binding? Just an
> off the wall idea.
This is already done. Our persistent DOM provides proxies for every DOM class.