Re: XML updates

Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Tony Gedge wrote:
> > This might be of use to you as an example.
> Cool! So, should I add it to the samples?

You can, but you'll need to remove the "xquery", "xupdate" and "xinsert"
bits, plus the associated imports for XPath*String and XPath*StringImpl.

> > The 'xinsert', 'xupdate' and 'xquery' methods in DBTool.java use some
> > custom classes we have added to Ozone, for performance of specific
> > things that we want to do.  Just remove those functions and the
> > associated imports for XPath*String and XPath*StringImpl.
> Hey, we are interested in what "specific things" you are going to do with
> ozone. And if it improves performance we are even more interested! So it
> would be cool if you could send that "special things" sources too.

These modifications are probably not of general interest, and the
performance issues only relate to a specific use case we have, which
falls outside the "correct" use of Ozone.

We are investigating replacing eXcelon with Ozone in some internal
demonstration software we have built.  As this software is part of our
R&D work, I cannot discuss the specifics of it further.  The original
implementation used eXcelon's HTTP-based interface, so the simplest way
to retrofit Ozone is to use a text-based interface for
query/insert/update.  We tried to use the existing query interface, and
Ozone objects on the client side, however the existing code wants to use
entire DOM sub-trees, and run XSL translations on them, so we were
incurring a significant performance penalty accessing so many DOM-tree
objects remotely.  Returning the string encoding of the DOM result and
parsing it on the client side fits the existing code better and is
quicker, given the way the rest of the code is written.  We are, of
course, sacrificing transactions and leaving ourselves open to
read-modify-write interleaving problems by doing this (although we could
probably still use external transactions... have to think on that), but
those problems were already there with the eXcelon implementation
anyway.

Tony Gedge.

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee
or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you
immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message
immediately.
Thank you.