Re: Client Side Objects

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, VCase wrote:
> I have just discovered Ozone and impressed with the scope of this open
> source project.  I have a couple of question regarding the use of client
> side proxies.

To begin with: You seem to plan to use ozone in a distributed environment. IMO
ozone should provide distributed features itself without the need to handle to
much of these things in the client code (therefore the answer to most of your
questions is 'no'). ozone is designed with the goal to evolve it to be a
distributed system. However, these things are not yet done. Do you have
experiences in the field of distributed computing?.

> Q. If I have two ozone databases, each on a different machine, and I wish to
> copy a set of objects from one Db to the other, is there an efficient
> mechanism for accomplishing this?
Hmmm.. I did not try this yet. You would have to transfer the value of the
objects from one server to the client and back to the second server - not very
efficient, I guess.

> Q. Can an object in one DB reference an object in another DB?
No.

> Q. What is the effect of calling the clone method on a proxy? Will it create
> a client side copy?
OzoneProxy does not provide a public clone() method so far. Anyway, there is no
API to create a client side copy of a database object.

> Q. Does using Ozone preclude leveraging Java's capabilities for "mobile
> objects" (the network is the computer)?
I don't follow. Can you explain a bit further?