Re: copyObject: deep or shallow copy?

Falko Braeutigam writes:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2001, Nathan Eric Probst wrote:
> > I wonder if someone can give me a quick answer to this question.
> >
> > Does Database.copyObject() to a deep copy or a shallow copy?
> deep. (excluding dependent database objects of course)

Copy and delete semantics depend on the nature of the relationship
between two objects.  So, ideally, a (some would argue necessary)
system feature would be support for definition of copy and delete
semantics in the schema on a per-relationship basis.  Ie, when two
objects are related (by an object-object reference), one could specify
whether delete and copy operations should be propagated across the
relationship.

(What is a "dependent database object?")

Lane Wimberley             8303 N. MoPac, Suite A-300  Austin, TX 78759
Wayport, Inc.                512.519.6195 (voice)    512.519.6200 (fax)