Re: Server Component

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Jonaki Ray wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was puzzled about something. In ServerComponent.java it says in the comments that it extends Observable but it doesn't do so in the actual code.
> Why is that? Am I missing something here?

I did ServerComponent to have two things a general interface to strart/stop
services like TransactionManager, StoreManager and that like and a genral
interface to keep track of the internal state of the server components in order
to be able to load/store the state of the entire server in the state.properties
file. My first idea was to use Observer/Observable for that. But it became
clear that this pattern does not really suits here. Observer/Observable assumes
that there are three parties involved: one or more observers; one observable;
and a thrird entity that is responsible to triggers the checks if the
Observable has changed. Classic MVC, isn't it? Anyway, in case of
ServerComponent there is no View (the V in MVC) involved so I decided to not
use Observer/Observable - but did not properly update the docs ;)