Re: garbage collection?

On Thursday, April 12, 2001, at 01:29 AM, Falko Braeutigam wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Jerry Seeger wrote:
On Wednesday, April 11, 2001, at 03:50 AM, Falko Braeutigam wrote:

An unscientific analysis of my application makes me think that it would
probably double the complexity of my code to track references - perhaps
even more if I want to eliminate the chance of circular references
causing a leak. My app is really very simple but the data can be very
intertwined.

I my not be the right person to build GC into ozone, but here are some
thoughts on what the requirements would be.
Why? Who is the right person if not you?

I have too many projects already - it might get done sooner if someone else takes the lead.
I will be happy to do it once I finish my main project right now and have a period in day job that allows me to pursue my hobby programming.

If you can show me a quick
and easy way to traverse references maybe I'll take a shot at it.
seach for members of type OzoneProxy via reflection

Presumably one would also have to look for collections.

1) should be scheduleable. It could be a significant performance hit, so
you want to be able to control when it happens. App developers could
inform users when GC is taking place so they will understand why things
are slower.
2) Should be transactional. Obviously, if database state changes during
GC no data should be lost.
3) Objects stored by name should never be garbage collected. These would
be considered root objects.

And, very important:
4) must be able to run incremental

The following link should be a good starting point. It gives an overview over
Conservative GC Algorithmic (mark and sweep)

http://reality.sgi.com/boehm_mti/gcdescr.html

I looked at this article and it has some great information. I have certainly learned something from this process.

The simplest approach would be to let the GC run as an ordinary client thread
and let the pessimistic locking of ozone do the rest.

Falko Braeutigam mailto:falko@smb-tec.com
SMB GmbH http://www.smb-tec.com