RE: JDO from Sun

On Wed, 03 May 2000, David Duddleston wrote:
> The don't think there is any specific information published about JDO yet
> (it should be out this summer?). Castor is immplementing JDO and I believe
> one of more of the developers are on the JDO specification commity? Might be
> a good idea to take a look at Castor and ask the developers where you can
> find some information. If ozone does have a JDO api, it would be real easy
> to setup ozone as a Castor database. Then ozone users could take advatage of
> castors XML data binding, converting ozone object to XML and back. That
> would be excellent... in theory of course ;-)

We are already using Castor to map the XML class descriptor to Java and vice
versa. However, I'm not sure if this Castor feature is of any use for ozone
because Castor produces 'static' Java code out of a XML schema to allow
programmers to manipulate XML resources via Java. What we need for ozone is a
technology that produces a XML/DOM representation of any given object on the
fly.

Also, using ozone as a store back-end for Castor doesn't make to much sense
IMO. Assaf, the maker of the persistency part of Castor, is strongly RDBMS
oriented... However, maybe the JDO spec itself leaves the door open even for
OODBMSs. Ideas?

Falko