The lightbulb just isn't going on....

Hi All,

	I'm in the middle of looking/updating the OPP code to support the standard
javac options. This is a nice break from the rather mind numbing experience
myself and a fellow developer are trying to figure out.

	As part of the OpenNMS bluebird project I've be doing a proof of concept
w/ozone to implement an SNMP configuration database. We have all the
realavant information in an XML file, but I would perfer not to have every
process using the java SNMP libraries to preprocess that file. So I was
going to have a single process to read, process, and load converted objects
into the ozone db. This serves the purpose of learning how ozone works,
seeing how it performs under minimal loads, and centralizing the data.

	To this end I created three interfaces and the related implementation
classes. There is the core information about all configured nodes
(SnmpConfigData.java & SnmpConfigDataImpl.java). The other two classes
inheriet from the core class and extend it by adding IP address(es) to
provide matching. Creating, retreving, and deleting the three classes to the
database should be fairly straight forward.

	Ultimately, what we're trying to accomplish is to have an "lookup" object
that store one default configuration, a list of specific info by ip address,
and a list of specific info by a range of ip addresses. I would like for the
lookup object to have methods for creating new configuration objects, from
passed information, in the server and the keep a reference to the real
object. Likewise, when a client lookups an ip address I would like to have
the lookup object pass a proxy object of the correct type back to the
client.

	There is an article in the ozone-db mailing list archive about peformance
(http://www.ozone.org/ozone-list/01-2000/msg00483.html) that discusses
issues related to creating objects in the client vs. the server. I have been
unable to find the associated '_populate' method code reference in the
reply. Are there any examples of creating objects in the server? The default
documented tutorial doesn't explain how to create database objects from an
object that's in the server.

	If this is confusing, we'll it's because I'm confused too. I feel like I'm
missing something (I feel kinda light headed, so perhaps it's a brain) and
the lightbulb still isn't comming on. As Curly would say "I keep trying to
think, but nothin' happens."

	Any words of wisdom?

	Thanks

	Weave
	mailto:weave@opennms.org

P.S. Falko, Thanks for the dev tarball :)