Re: Uses of Ozone/XML repository?

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Phillip C. Rhodes wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what types of real world
> applications/uses/contexts would people store XML in the ozone database?
>
> What is the difference between the Ozone/XML implementation and just
> having a 2 column table(name, value) where name is the file and value is
> your XML string?  Wrapper the call that gets the value to return a
> parsed document...

What if the XML document is big and doesn't fit into memory? Or, your documents
are big but you only need to access/modify small parts of it... Then you need to
parse the entire document (which is not possible because it doesn't fit into
memory) once you access a single node and writing back the entire document to
the database if just one node has changed.

ozone provides a DOM tree of the document that transparently handles these
problems. Just the nodes that are actual accessed are activated and written
back to the database.

This is just one but a very important point.