Re: XML Server ?

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Olivier Deckmyn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a need for an "XML Server" and I wonder if ozone or
> Prowler can fulfill my needs :
>
> What I want to do is a knowledge base (that might be huge),
> that is queried and updated through the web.
> The web site is made with zope (www.zope.org) an object
> oriented application server (python world).
> I want to store my knowledge base in an XML DB.
>
> When a user queries the KB (knowledge base), zope sends a
> XPath (or XQL) query to the XMLDB, via a simple HTTP Post
> for example. The result is sent via a simple HTTP result :
> it should be the XML text of the answer (=a small part of the KB).
>
> I also need a way to update the XML data through HTTP (from
> the zope server to the XMLDB)...but I don't know any query
> language for this...
>
> Update performance can be medium...but it would be nice to
> have good query performance.
>
> I think that XSL services are useless for me, as the HTML
> formatting is done on the Zope Server.
>
> I know eXcelon can fullfill my needs but it is too expensive
> ($50K !!!) and closed source...and doesn't work on my FreeBSD
> boxes...

You don't need Prowler, ozoneXML should be okay for your needs.

Right now I'm trying to generate new XML benchmark result. I expect them to be
much better than the last ones. So, hopefully performance is somewhat
comparable to eXelon. I don't know about robustness or scalability and things
like that. We need your huge knowledge base (what size we are talking about?)
to test ozoneXML in this regard ;)

A XML update language is not part of ozoneXML. You have to do this 'by hand' on
the DOM. We are planning something for Prowler.

ozone contains examples how to use the XML features. Lars has recently checked
in the XT (instead of Xalan) thing and I have finished the work to speed up
in-VM method invokes. So, for benchmarking, you should wait for the next source
release.