Re: AppServers, Transactions & Ozone

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Gerd Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > This maybe a very daft question, but here goes.
> >
> > Background:
> > I want to build a multi-tier architecture using ozone as the db,
> > probably with jBoss as the appServer and apache/tomcat as the webserver.
> > There would be multiple instances of each layer.
> >
> > Question:
> > Does ozone include a transaction manager? Looking at the XA sample, I
> > guess the answer is no. So I would need to get a seperate transaction
> > manager, such as tyrex from exolab.org.
>
> Ozone has a transaction manager (to manage it's own transactions), but no
> separate transaction monitor for distributed transaction. You should use Tyrex
> for this which we've tested with Ozone.

Yes, there is a XA interface for ozone. I used Tyrex for the development but
I'm not sure if I did it right, even after many emails from Assaf of ExOffice
;) Also, you will probably have to add/change some small things to get it
working, especially integration with JNDI, which is needed for Tyrex, is
missing. I'm very interested in real-world experiences here, so please send me
your questions and I will try to help.