Re: ozone: the GNU license??? is VERY limiting, no?

Hi David, I Cc: this to the mail list.

On Tue, 30 May 2000, David Combs wrote:
> Was just looking at open-software-site re ozone;
> noticed that it said you had to use the GNU license.
The API packages of ozone are under the LGPL. The core packages are under GPL.
That's a big difference.

> That's the license everyone complains about, no?  The one
> that says no "commercial" use is allowed!
The GPL does allow commercial use. It just says that your code has to be under
GPL too.

> But suppose you want to write a product, in java, that
> USES ozone to persist and traverse, etc, its
> data structures, etc -- is THAT use allowed?
The API packages (the ones you import in your code) are under LGPL exactly for
this reason -- to allow to (commercial) USE ozone without the need to put the
app code under a particular license.

However, there are many discussions about that. I read one in the
jBoss list (EJB server). In fact, there were some people with a different
opinion about GPL and LGPL. Anyway, if you want to use ozone in a commercial
project, just go for it -- but don't forget to give back the changes you do on
the core (server) code! ;)