RE: scaling object databases

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Reason wrote:
> > > Some estimates from the files and prototyped code:
> > >
> > > a) 1 million users
> > > b) each user performs 20 transactions/day
> >
> > this means you will have around 10,000 transaction per second (!) in the
> > peaks...
>
> What's your math here? 1,000,000 users @ 20 transactions/day is 20,000,000
> transactions /day
>
> # of seconds in a day = 60 * 60 * 24 = 86400
>
> 20,000,000 / 86400 ~= 231 transactions / second
>
> Peak traffic of 50 * average traffic seems unlikely. Based on my experience
> with the web, peaks of 5 * average are only associated with things like a
> report that comes out at the same time each day, etc, etc.

In fact, for my projects I expect peak traffic of 100 * average traffic. Of
course this depends on many things for typical business apps this reflects real
world pretty good.

> > > c) half of the transactions are read-only
> > > d) total data amounts to 50 million objects
> > > e) average transactions affect 10 objects each, either reading
> > or writing.
> > > f) physically, the overall system is very centralized. If there are
> > > clustered servers, they will all be in racks in the same
> > hosting location.
> > > g) uptime is a priority, so the system must have failover capability.
> >
> > ... IMO ozone is not suited for that app. I wonder what kind of
> > Java based (or
> > other) system is able to handle these requirements anyhow.
>
> Having refigured the transaction rate above, still unsuited for Java based
> on overall requirements?
Even 231 transactions per sec is to much (and it is to much for many other
comparably Java based systems like EJB)

> What sort of transaction rate would you expect
> Ozone to be up to? (Depends on machine speed, et al, of course, but
> still...)
Should be no problem to check this by yourself (a good idea when benchmarking
anyway) using the OO1, OO7 or, even better, your code.

> Published benchmarks for Ozone would be really really useful; have a look at
> http://www.tneumann.de/en/SOD.html, an ODB that provides some benchmarking
> for guidelines.
OO1 and OO7 code is already there. We just need to customize this a bit...