Newbie wants to join

Hi Falko,

I have kept an eye on Ozone for the last few months. My interest in OODBMS
was ignited by my work with Gemstone (we use the latter at my job). I like
the concepts behind Ozone and I would like to familiarize myself with the
whole thing, before I start contributing code. Since I have absolutely no
experience in DBMS design & development (I use them as a tool allright, but
I do not actually develop them...), I think the  best way to start would be
to thoroughly explore the sources and try making sense from them - I have
done this partly, already. I would be willing to share my learning with
other Ozone wannabees by writing documentation about the whole
architecture. I suggest to create an Ozone Documentation Project - such as
the one of ZOPE (see zope.org). Would you - or someone else who can do it -
be so kind as to guide me through the process? This could be done the
following way:

- I look at the sources to grasp as much information as I can
- I provide you with a list of questions
- I write a draft wich I submit to you
- you correct/annotate the draft
- I proceed to the appropriate modifications
- The result is integrated as part of the Ozone Documentation Project,
available online.

Of course the whole process would be iterative; I could start exploring the
core packages, then go to the others (xml, etc).

The end result could be a comphrehensive documentation of Ozone's inner
workings, easing things up for other developers like me who want to get
involved; it would also be very useful for people  who are considering
Ozone for their project, but who in the end do not pick it because they
don't feel they have sufficient information about it. I believe the major
flaw of open-source projects is the lack of such documentation. Don't you
all agree that a doc project could be useful?

Thanks for taking the time to read me!

Yanick Duchesne
yduchesne@newtradetech.com